Saturday, January 21, 2012

Starting Toilet Training

This week I started... toilet training with Shaan and stopped!  Ok I know you are not meant to do that.  But I ran out of motivation after the first day with no success.  One thing I tried this time was using rewards for staying dry and clean rather than whether he went in the toilet or not.  A much less frustrating process for both of us because he could be rewarded frequently during the day after he checked his pants were dry.  I really don't think he is ready yet though especially  if I want him to be trained within a few days.  Toilet training K was such a long, drawn out affair with a lot of stubbornness involved and I don't want to go through that again.  So even though my pride would like him to be toilet trained now, I think I will wait until the next school holidays in April to try again.  Or more signs of readiness.

This week I visited... our local child health nurse to have Dhiraj weighed.  Just a spur of the moment thing because even though he has been sick lately, his eating has been all over the place.  He wieghed in at approx 200g lighter than the last visit at 8 months which is a bit concerning.  So yes he does need to put on some weight and apparently the answer is more carbs.  I had been giving him too many servings of fruit and vegetables a day and not enough of the breads, pasta and rice.  Thankfully it's a fairly easy change to make.


This week... I scrapbooked for the first time in a very, long time.  It's an interest that I have wanted to get back into after stopping just after Dhiraj was born.  So it has been put on my weekly planner and yeh this week I actually did a bit.  Alongside my daughter who was very enthusiastic to see me get out my craft supplies.  In the end I got re-elagated to one end of the desk as she took over most of my desk with her craft work.  Oh the mess! :)

This week I decided... to have screen free time for the kids.  They had been watching something each morning while Dhiraj was napping for up to a hour and I got some time to myself.  But then on top of that K has been watching a few Disney movies during her rest time.  Really I find that a lot of them deal with very serious adult concepts like betrayal, rejection, death etc in the context of an entertaining story.  So I thought it would be healthy for all of us to have a break.  I am trying to not watch anything at night from Mon-Thurs and instead work on things like scrapbooking as mentioned above and my blogging.    The kids have done well with it and have played outside more.  So far I have done ok with not having that time to myself in the mornings.  Ok I am really missing that time now!  


This week and well the last few months I have been struggling with... menu planning.  Since the weather has gotten warmer I have had less idea of what to cook and less motivation too.  A lot of the dishes I was cooking on a regular basis just aren't great summer dishes.  Like chicken curry- yum!  Lately hubby has been commenting on the lack of planning with my meals.  He reckons I have been making lots of strange dishes. Ok some days I do just go to the fridge, have a look in, see what needs using up and try and make something from that.  But still... I then suggest I could cook meat and vegetables for him every night.  No chilli!  The interaction goes down hill from there.So this week I've been thinking about summer staples and what in particular appeals to the taste of my family members.  I did a couple of spicy salads- yum!   Check out the The Curried Aussie for the latest recipes.

What does your family like eating during summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment