Friday, January 13, 2012

Financial Diversification for Families


 This past week I've been reading... about financial diversification in building a personal investment portfolio.  Just for the fun of it.  :)  Apparently buying an investment property in the same suburb in which you live is not considered diversification. Why is it an important concept to get? Because it minimises your risks when investing long term so that you can get the best returns and not lose money and go bankrupt. Ok that sounds important! It's interesting because what I would have considered diversification- having an investment property and a small portfolio of shares is not diversified at all. For shares, it's suggested that a minimum of 15-20 shares is a good start. Ok it just means that for us we are a long way off before we can start that kind of portfolio. Arhh – all the good ideas I have!  Obviously if I want to get into the market before then I need to go for a managed fund.  Maybe that's why average Aussies are encouraged to pay off their mortgage on their home first (as there are no tax deductions unlike the interest on investment loans. What's our government thinking!) and then salary sacrifice into super (taxed at 15%).

This week I've been able to... stand a little straighter. Yeh- that means my back muscles are not so tight. Still got a long way to go though! And I did 4 mins of cycling! Boy, did that tire me out. :) 

This week I gave into... Miss 5 yr old's pleas for us to do some cooking or more specific make cookies.  Find the recipe I used here at The Curried Aussie.  She wanted to use some cookie cutters I had bought at Christmas time to do some Christmas baking. One of those great ideas that I didn't end up having time or energy for. Maybe both! They had a ball (ha,ha!) rolling out their dough and surprisingly they didn't taste test much as they went along!

Miss K's beautiful creations!



This week we have seen the end of (thankfully!!) ... Miss K getting over a very yucky tummy bug. So thankful that she's improving and not waking at night anymore. At the same time Dhiraj had about 4 days of crying, more like screaming on and off all day and only sleeping for 40 mins at a time during the day.  Consequently he was a very overtired and clingy baby and it was hard to tell whether he was sick or extremely overtired or teething etc. After a few exhausting days of this I was thinking of taking him to the doctor and just saying, my baby won't stop crying since there didn't seem to be anything else wrong with him. Thankful he's back to his sunny self, eating better again and his sleep has improved.  And still no teeth!

This past week we enjoyed... our first trip to the beach for the summer season.  It has taken us a lot longer than usual to get there this year but we finally did even if it was just a brief 20 min visit.  So beautiful!



Ok only Hit and Kalyani went down to the water and the instructions were "Do Not Get Wet!".  Hmm- so this is what really happened!  The girl loves the water!



I don't like being in the car, Mummy!
This past week I tried out some ideas... for organising my blog writing. It's something I have struggled with for ages, finding regular time to focus on my blogging. Then wrestling with whether it's something that should be a priority in my life at all.  Over the last few months I have been working on putting into place habits and routines that mean I am much more in control of daily household tasks, meals etc. The hope is that I can make some time each day to focus on my own activities.  This past week I tried to focus on writing posts for about 30 mins each morning while the older two were watching a show and  Dhiraj was sleeping. It sort of worked except for the mornings when I was interrupted too much to get a lot done.

Quick Blogging Update:
I am planning to give this blog a bit more attention this year.  I am hoping to post at least twice a week on a variety of topics relevant to women and families.  It does feel like a big challenge for where I am at!  However I would love that my thoughts and ideas, stories and photos would be encouraging to you on your life journey. :)  Love you to sign up to follow my blog.


How do you organise your day or week to have time for personal interests? 

No comments:

Post a Comment