Monday, August 29, 2011

Hummus

My final post for the blogging marathon I have participating in this past week. The recipe I have chosen came about because I wanted to do a dip and salad plate for the kids at my daughter's 5th birthday party. Unlike many children's birthday parties, I wanted to host a non-junk food party. Novel idea! Mainly because I wanted my kids to be eating "proper" food and not fill up on chips and lollies and because I believe that healthy food actually tastes better than junk food. Photos and more about the birthday party coming in another post.

So originally I was going to buy hummus dip (which my kids love) and then because of the BM theme, Cooking from Scratch, I decided to make it myself. So glad I did because it was very easy to make and tasted great!


Hummus

Ingredients
2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup tahini*
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup water
salt to taste
spices optional (I added 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground coriander, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp ground chilli, 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon)

* Tahini is a paste of ground sesame seeds.

To Make
1. Combine all ingredients together in a blender until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add more water if needed. Season to taste.

Comments
This recipe makes quite a large amount so for home use the quantity could be halved. Very yummy on bread or crackers as well! Lasts for about a week in the fridge.

Check out what my fellow blogger are cooking here.

To see what else I've cooked this week:
Day 1- Lamb Korma
Day 2- Shami Kebabs
Day 3- Channa Dal Pulao
Day 4- Egg Halwa
Day 5- Simple Pizza Dough
Day 6- Homemade Wheat Tortillas

I have just put up a short survey about internet use and blogging.  Would love people to share their views.  Click here to take survey  Thanks so much!

9 comments:

  1. Hummus has been on my list forever .. thx for reminding me again. Looks yummy.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway.
    Current Event: Herbs and Flowers - Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, feel like having some rite now, love this dip..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummus looks lovely...n my fridge has it stored..almost always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very creamy. Anytime, homemade from scratch is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hummus is a healthy snack! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, can imagine the pretty hands trying to take a grab. Liked your idea of adding spices

    ReplyDelete