Sunday, August 28, 2011

Home made Wheat Tortillas

Day 6 of the blogging marathon I am participating in this week and continuing on the theme of Cooking from Scratch I decided to have a go at making tortillas. Mainly because I had a pack in the cupboard and was wondering how easy it would be to make them at home instead. Amongst other things the store bought tortillas contained mineral salts, colour, preservatives and food acid. Freshly made tortillas would have to be healthier for my family.

Traditionally tortillas are an unleavened flat bread made with a corn (maize) flour called masa harina. Unfortunately masa harina is hard to obtain here and commercially made tortillas usually consist of wheat flour rather than corn.

Personally I don't cook South American food much at all. Maybe because the flavours and ingredients are not very well known here in Australia yet. But I do use the breads and we have them with my own bean/ vegie dishes I come up with them. So to go with these tortillas I cooked a dish with crushed garlic, chopped onion, cumin seeds, kidney beans, tomatoes, spices, grated carrot and zucchini and topped with grated cheese of course.


Wheat Tortillas

Ingredients
250g bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp corn oil (I subsituted with olive oil)
120mL warm water

To Make
1. Combine flour and salt. Slowly stir in oil, then add warm water. Add more water if dough is too dry.
2. Knead for 5 minutes. Divide into 8 equal portions.
3. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out to form 20cm tortillas.
5. Place first tortilla on heated frying pan and cook for less than 1 minute per side, or until brown spots appear.
6. Repeat with remaining dough. Stack tortillas and keep warm.

Comments
Ok bread making is not my forte. Saying that these tortillas turned out really soft and hubby suggested that is how I should get my parathas to turn out. IE he liked them a lot. So making tortillas from scratch is very simple. This one was a hit with my family!

Check out what my fellow blogger are cooking here.

To see what else I've cooked this week:
Day 1- Lamb Korma
Day 2- Shami Kebabs
Day 3- Channa Dal Pulao
Day 4- Egg Halwa
Day 5- Simple Pizza Dough

13 comments:

  1. wonder if bread flour wud b available in India?..though these look grt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the way we make chapatis, we use whole wheat flour and everything else is the same. They look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks super prefect and wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent attempt at making homemade tortillas with wheat flour. They have come out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice...makes for nice wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bread flour is simply a high protein flour. That would include atta flour I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wheat Tortillas look awesome. It does look soft and super tempting!

    ReplyDelete