Friday, August 26, 2011

Egg Halwa

Day 4 of the blogging marathon I am participating in this week and my final recipe for the theme Nawab Khana. Nawab Khana refers to a rich and elaborate traditional Indian cuisine. The last three days I'll be posting on the theme Cooking from Scratch.

As I decided to do all my dishes for friends in the form of a dinner party I had to choose a dessert of course. Funny enough neither myself or my husband had tasted egg halwa before. But with lots of sugar, light fluffy eggs and heaps of flaked almonds and pistachios it was delicious.


Egg Halwa

Ingredients
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground saffron
1/4 cup ghee
1 tsp ground cardamom
2 tblsp raisins
few drops vanilla essence
1/2 cup flaked almonds
1/2 cup pistachios

To Make
1. Whisk the eggs for about 10 minutes until frothy. The mixture slightly thickens and becomes a lighter colour. Add the sugar and saffron and whisk for a further 5 minutes.


2. Heat the ghee and fry the cardamom for 1 minute then remove from heat. Add eggs and raisins and cook, stirring gently, until ghee rises to the top. Stir in the vanilla essence.


3. Pour into a greased baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts and allow to cool.

from the The Best 1000 Indian Recipes 2001 Strathearn Publishing.

Comments
This dish produced some debate at the dinner table over whether it was sweet enough. Most of us thought it had enough sugar in it while one sweet toothed friend would have liked more. Saying that though, she was the one who went back for several servings. A very moorish dessert! Next time I think I would like to try one of the other recipes I have seen for this dish.

Check out what my fellow blogger are cooking here.

To see what else I've cooked this week:
Day 1- Lamb Korma
Day 2- Shami Kebabs
Day 3- Channa Dal Pulao

11 comments:

  1. Egg halwa, quite a new dish for me,looks fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have not heard before.Looks delicious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing this for the first time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, now you managed to surprise us all with this new dish..:)..Imagine I have so many halwa recipes but never thought of making with egg!..will surely want to try and add to my list..

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is something new!...looks cool n delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting dessert with egg. Sounds yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the nut topped halwa! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's surprising Jane! Look at the comment list, just like you, none of us too have had this before :)). This is the first time I am hearing about egg halwa. Looks very nice though.

    ReplyDelete