Friday, July 29, 2011

Moist Apple Loaf

Wow I can't believe how many new recipes I've cooked this week as part of my participation in the blogging marathon AND I've been able to post every day too! But I am looking forward to going back to my less frequent blogging posts for a little while. Dhiraj is still waking a lot at night and some days I am feeling too tired to get done as much as I would like. As well I am looking forward to having a break from baking cakes, muffins and biscuits and having a go at some of the yummy dishes fellow bloggers have posting on this week.

These two last recipes I have posted on were made with the assistance of Kalyani and Shaan. Kalyani made the lemon yoghurt cake and Shaan helped with the apple loaf. Though it does make the cooking process a lot more messy I do enjoy involving them.

Now this recipe has been adapted from one I found here. I was specifically looking for a cake that had apples in it because I had 3 lovely Granny Smith apples sitting in the fridge that needed using. Also I love the taste of apple and cinnamon.

Moist Apple Loaf

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (1/2 cup substituted with wholemeal flour)
1 teaspoon mixed spice or ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup sugar (reduced to 1/2 cup)
2 large or 3 medium apples, peeled and grated
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten

To Make
Add flour, bicarbonate of soda and spice together and stir through sugar. Make a well in the centre, add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 180C for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Comments
My mixture turned out too moist which may have something to do with my son continuing to dip his spoon in and eat the dry flour despite my discouragement. :) Anyway I ended up adding more flour at the end to make it a bit stiffer.
Eggless Variation:
I reckon because the apples make it so moist it would be easy to omit the eggs and add a little bit of water if the mixture is too dry, without it affecting the final cake.

Check out what my fellow bloggers are cooking here.

8 comments:

  1. Great stuff. Your blog is going to be my go-to for all my no-butter baking from now!!
    So nice to see your kids helping out. My son loves to be in kitchen too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little chefs, Jane. Apple and cinnamon can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Loved your space..You have lovely kids who help you out so much in cooking :)
    The moist apple loaf looks nice and yummy..
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such cute helpers in the kitchen :-) Apple muffins look yumm..
    Enjoyed all your bakes this week during the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you involving the kids in the kitchen!Your little helpers have done a wonderful job! Apple loaf looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, it was so wonderful to have you join us for the Marathon. I can understand how tiring it can be, esp when we end up cooking the previous day!..It's wonderful knowing your kids and love their pictures, helping you out there..:)..take it easy..I am completely off for couple of days..will check on you again..tc

    ReplyDelete