Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Oh the house is smelling wonderful! I have just pulled out this cake from the oven which the kids (not me, of course) insisted we try a piece while it was still warm. Yummy! Also on the bench is an another batch of muffins that I have cooked for my final post for the blogging marathon I have been participating in this week. Hopefully those ones will go in the freezer for next week's snacks unless we eat them all now. Very tempting!

This cake was based on a recipe I found here. I was looking for something to bake that had in yoghurt in it, lemons and oil instead of butter. The funny thing is that the oil only got reduced because I ran out of vegetable oil as I was in the middle of cooking. Something to do with all the no butter baking I have been doing this week. Anyway I have decided I love this cake!

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups sugar (reduced to 1 1/4 cup sugar)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
Grated rind of 2 lemons (substituted with orange rind)
1/2 cup oil (reduced to 1/4 cup)
1 cup natural yoghurt/curd
2 cups self-raising flour (1/2 cup was substituted with wholemeal flour)

This photo is included because this is gorgeous audience I had when I was cooking.

To Make
In a bowl, mix lemon rind, oil, eggs and sugar with a fork.
Add remaining ingredients and combine well.
Pour into greased tin and bake at 180°C for 50 minutes.
Leave to cool then turn out and dust with icing sugar.


Comments
This is my first time baking a cake with curd in it and I love how it turned out. Its a great combination with the lemon and the texture is so moist and crumbly. Definitely one I will bake again! I might even make it for daughter's birthday coming up in a few weeks time. Though next time I think I will reduce the sugar even more to 1 cup as the cake was quite sweet for my taste.

Check out what my fellow bloggers have been cooking here.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures....the cake luks nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,
    First time here..
    Great recipes and clicks..
    The audience is as lovely as the cake :))
    The cake is seriously tempting
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogurt definitely makes the cake moist and yummy.. Add the lemon, I'm sure it tasted divine... Your little one is sooo cute and adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love citrus flavors in my bakes !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and perfectly baked cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake looks great and the baby even more!..love that look of wonder in his face..

    ReplyDelete