Monday, July 11, 2011

Homemade Chicken Stock

I found this simple and delicious recipe for chicken stock from a October 2009 Choice magazine I borrowed from the library. It was part of an interesting article about what really is in the packaged stocks we buy at the supermarket. The overview is that they are not "natural", often high in salt, contain additives, may not contain chicken in a chicken stock and are not good value for money.

I have to admit that I haven't actually used liquid or powdered stock for a long time. If a recipe asks for it I usually use a combination of spices like coriander and cumin and water. But recently I found out that I could get free range chicken bones for the bargain price of $1 a frame and so that along with the article got me motivated to have a go at making my own stock.

Homemade Chicken Stock
500g chicken bones
3.5L water
1 onion halved
1 carrot halved
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon peppercorns
parsley including the stalks
I also added several stalks of celery

Place all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to the boil. Reduce and simmer covered for 2 hours. Strain the chicken and vegetables and store the liquid in containers in the fridge or freezer until needed.

It smelt delicious simmering away on the stove and now I have several litres of stock in the freezer ready for use in soups and stews.

No comments:

Post a Comment