Saturday, July 23, 2011

Favourite Chocolate Cake Recipe

I am participating in the week long blogging marathon over at the Spicing Your Life blog for the first time. The aim is to cook and post seven different dishes over seven days. My theme is No Butter Bakes for Diet. I have decided to go hard core and as well as replacing the butter in baking recipes also try and subsitute white flour for wholemeal/ atta flour and reduce the sugar. Can sweet treats be more healthy? Let's see how I go!

This has to be my favourite chocolate cake recipe. Its so quick and easy that I often cook it with my kids. Lately I've been giving Shaan and Kalyani both a bowl each and they will make up their own cake (with some assistance from me). That means one cake to eat and one cake to freeze.

Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup plain white flour (1/2 cup substituted with wholemeal)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar (reduced to 3/4 cup)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 cup water(250mL)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp vinegar

To Make
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Do not over mix. Pour into greased baking dish. Cook at 180C for 30-40mins.


Comments
I cooked this recipe for Shaan's 2nd birthday. I know I ruined any reduction in sugar in the cake with all the icing, smarties and hundreds and thousands. :) The cake turned out really well. I definitely couldn't tell that it had less sugar in it, olive oil and wholemeal flour.

Check out what my fellow bloggers are cooking this week here.

14 comments:

  1. Kudos to the little ones! The cake looks yummy. I posted a similar version a couple of weeks ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can a cake recipe get simpler than this...One bowl, eggless recipe. Great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all these modifications, I'm sure it would be keeper of a recipe. 1st time here but will stay tuned for the BM! All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when kids participate in the cooking/baking process. This cake is simple enough for kids to have a free hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This good way to attempt for the consideration of the work and it work quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to check out your space Jane. I must say that cake looks awesome..Kids will surely need whatever butter they can, but it's perfect for those on diet, if they want to indulge in chocolate feast..:)...glad you joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a really tempting and appealing cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son saw the picture and said "I WANT THAT CAKE" with sprinkles & M&M's and CHOCOLATE. We'll probably making this VERY soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake luks nice...wud love to try it sounds easy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely recipe..
    Your kids make cakes..how lovely..
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete