Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Crunchy Peanut Cookies

Ok I have to admit that we are not a huge peanut butter eating family. I prefer to give my kids Vegemite if they are to have a spread on bread. Very Aussie! But I liked this recipe because it didn't contain any butter or oil. Is that healthier?

Well...
100g butter contains 53.8g of saturated fat.
100g vegetable oil (mine was soy bean oil) contains 18.4g of saturated fat.
100g extra virgin olive oil contains 16g of saturated fat.
100g peanut butter contains only 6g of saturated fat.

Crunchy Peanut Cookies

Ingredients
3/4 cup self raising white flour (1/4 cup substituted with whole wheat flour)
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar (reduced to 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey
2 to 3 tablespoons water

To Make
Mix flour, soda and cinnamon in a bowl. Add sugar, rolled oats, coconut and lemon rind, mix well. Rub peanut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Make a well in the centre of mixture, add honey and 2 tablespoons water gradually, stirring to make a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out dough to 5mm thick and cut out cookies. (I formed them into balls and pressed them flat onto the tray). Bake for 10-15 minutes at 180C.




Comments
Shaan and Kalyani have been enjoying how much baking I have been doing this week and getting to taste everything. But I had an interesting conversation with Kalyani who's 4 about doing a blog marathon and how it meant cooking something each day on my theme No Butter Bake. She replied with how that wasn't a good idea. Why did she say that? Because cakes and biscuits are not meant to be an everyday food just a sometimes food. I thought it was funny that my daughter was telling me it wasn't a good idea to eat too much sweet stuff.

Check out what my fellow bloggers are cooking today here.

13 comments:

  1. Crisp cookies...wud love to try..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How smart of your daughter! But good that you are making butter less, even though butter is good for them..I like this version of cookies, will try it out sometime..I am so glad you joined..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lil angel and me are huge fans of peanut butter. Am definitely trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice way to substitute peanut butter for butter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting blend of flavors ! love the words of your kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious cookies. I'm bowled over by your daughter's remark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great one. I am going to do this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks crunchy! Perfect for tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love to have these cookies for tea time Jane ! and look healthy too with less fat !

    Kalyani
    Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
    Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – ending 31st July

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter is soo cuute.. Kids are really smart..
    Peanut cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha..your daughter is very smart:)
    How observant of her..
    The cookies look very crunchy..
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete