Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cornmeal Muffins

Ok a change from baking something sweet today for the blogging marathon I am participating in this week and instead I am going with a savoury recipe. This one appealed to me because it meant I could use up the polenta or cornmeal I have had sitting in my pantry for months or years? I also thought it would be a good one to freeze so I could use them for Kalyani's lunches when she goes back to school next week. I also liked that I could use fresh parsley picked from the garden in them.

Cornmeal Muffins

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour (I substituted 1/2 cup with atta flour)
1 cup yellow cornmeal (polenta)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 cup creamed corn
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

To Make
Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and sugar together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl lightly beat eggs, oil, creamed corn, milk and parsley together.
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Mix quickly to combine with a fork. Do not over mix.
Spoon into a greased muffin tin and bake immediately for about 10 minutes at 200C. Serve warm.

Variations
I added about 1/2 cup of diced, cooked sweet potato that I had in the fridge and wanted to use up. I also think that you could replace the parsley with chopped fresh coriander and masalas for a different taste.

Comments
I liked them. The polenta gives them a grainy texture and the taste is mild.

Check out what my fellow bloggers are cooking today here.

10 comments:

  1. They look so yummy and tasty. Love the use of corn.

    I am having a giveaway in my blog. Do check it out when you get a chance.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polenta does lend itself a different texture, dear ! although, I dont eat eggs I am sure it would have been yummy !

    Kalyani
    Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
    Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – ending 31st July

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cornmeal muffins look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely muffins! Polenta makes everything taste wonderfful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting muffin Jane, will try this sometime

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting and healthy muffin
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete