Monday, July 25, 2011

Carrot and Pineapple Loaf

This recipe I'm doing for Day 3 of the blogging marathon I got to cook on my own. No kids helping! Hubby had taken the kids out for a couple of hours and the baby was sleeping. Bliss! So I made an effort to enjoy the process of cooking. Normally I am trying to do 3 things or more at once and then thinking about what I need to do next once the dish is in the oven etc. This time I even got to lick the bowl out all to myself. So nice!

Carrot and Pineapple Loaf

Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (reduced to 1/2 cup)
1 cup grated carrot (about 1 large carrot)
400g pineapple pieces crushed
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk*

* A simple buttermilk substitute which I used is add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes and then use as the recipe says.

To Make
Mix flours, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon together in a bowl. Add sugar, carrot, pineapple and walnuts. Stir to combine. Whisk eggs, oil and buttermilk together in a bowl. Add to flour mixture and combine.
Spoon mixture into greased pan. Bake for 25 minutes at 180C or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the loaf.

Comments
I baked this recipe in a muffin tray. Very moist and nutritious. Only thing was that I used extra virgin olive oil in the recipe and it does give them a distinctive taste. Both my kids liked them a lot especially my daughter who loves pineapple at the moment. I think they weren't sweet enough for hubby to really enjoy. :)

Check out what my fellow bloggers are cooking here.

11 comments:

  1. lovely! I love anything with pineapple and this is no exception!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combo of pineapple and carrot sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pineapple is a wonderful fruit111Ant dish with it will be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, that's surely is a new combo for me..never used those two together..and if kids like them, what else can we ask for!..I think baking it in muffin was a great idea as kids get to eat small portion by themselves..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea of using carrots and pineapple!Looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love pineapple in baking! I bet it was scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. new combo of carrot and pineapple - yum !! must try .. I am sure the lemon zest and the pineapple must have created a sinfully sweet aroma while it was baked !... slurp !

    nice to have met un during the BM, Jane !

    Kalyani
    Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
    Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – ending 31st July

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrots & pineapple are made for each other.. Cakes look moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting..carrot and pineapple together..
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete