Friday, April 8, 2011

My First Attempt at Cooking Rasam

It has been one of those weeks- again! I have to remind myself that life at home with young kids is sometimes messy, chaotic, noisy and tiring especially when I'm doing it on 5 hours sleep a night. We have had a lot of grizzling, whinging and fighting this week as everyone is more tired than normal getting over colds. But weeks like this are apparently normal and nothing to stress about! So I've decided to post anyway. I was hoping to upload some photos of my gorgeous boys but the computer got rebooted this week and I haven't managed to locate the files that the photos are in.

So instead I thought I would share my experience with making rasam. A great thing to have when you are feeling under the weather. I reckon its the equivalent of our chicken soup with a whole lot more spice. If you haven't heard of it before, its a South Indian soup which can be eaten alone or with rice. I had it with rice. My South Indian mother-in-law made it a couple of times when she was staying with us recently. The funny thing is I love it and my Indian husband doesn't.

Anyway I heated about 3 cups of water and then added a bit of tamarind, a chopped tomato, rasam powder to taste (meaning mine was a lot milder than traditional rasam), finely chopped ginger, curry leaves, chopped fresh coriander, salt and cracked fresh pepper. Would have been good with a whole garlic but I didn't add it to mine this time. Simmered for about 10 minutes and then I added a tarka (mustard seeds popped in hot oil) to it. Of course you can add fresh or dried whole chillies if you like the heat. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment