Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Matzah Bread with Vanilla Icecream and Plum Sauce

This week we are focusing on the Festival of Unleavened Bread. So yesterday I made Matzah bread with the kids and told them the story of the exodus of God's people from Egypt.

The recipe I followed for Matzah bread was:

1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups water
6 cups flour

I mixed all the ingredients together in the bread maker on the dough seating. Then rolled it out (all the while trying to stop Shaan from eating all my raw dough) and cut them into cracker size pieces pricked with a fork. Baked in a hot oven for about 10 minutes depending on how soft or hard you like them. We liked them very crisp.

We enjoyed eating them for lunch with salad and then for dinner with pumpkin soup. But definitely the best combo is smothering them in icecream and homemade plum sauce. Yummo!

This year is my first time to do anything to remember the biblical festivals that God ordained for His people. So the way in which I am going about it is more about the idea and teaching my kids about God's involvement in the nation of Israel and the role of Christ than being correct. Hence my Matzah probably had some natural fermentation because I definitely didn't get it into the oven in 18 minutes they say to. I am not interested in becoming Jewish anyway. Enough effort goes into understanding my husband's culture!

A good thing is we are actually use to eating flat bread anyway. Parathas, chapatis, pooris etc. Indian food includes a lot of unleavened bread.

Why am I wanting to do this? Well I have found that our lives are void of celebrations that are biblical and focus on Christ. I grew up in a Christian family and my husband grew up in a Hindu family. Of course he didn't celebrate Easter or Christmas and more unusual my family didn't either. I am use to going hiking or camping at Easter and going away for holidays at Christmas. So yes we could just pick up Aussie traditions- Father Christmas and Easter bunny or Christian traditions- attending a church service. I personally find Christmas and Easter anything but spiritual times of the year. So to me remembering the festivals is a possible alternative which can be shared at home where ever we happen to be living or whatever age our kids are. Are the biblical festivals meant to still be celebrated today? I don't know the answer to that one! But I am interested to know what will come out of doing this, this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment