Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Doing the Un-Christmas Thing!

I know this flies in the face of tradition but I am becoming more comfortable with having a very un-Christmas Christmas. I think this year the Christmas tree might stay in the cupboard. Hmm- I'm not planning to buy gifts. Well maybe only one or two. Or eat excessively over the Christmas break mainly because I'm not going to buy excessive food. I know that some people are going to think that we are missing out and how sad it is for Kalyani. But I actually want less stress in our lives- who's seen how crazy the shops are already? And I want to be able to focus on what's really important- spending time with people we love. That's what I'm looking forward to!

I really struggle with the whole notion that churches, charities and of course retail stores promote that if a child does not receive a gift or gifts at Christmas that they are impoverished. Hence we all need to help them out by donating gifts. How stupid is that! How many children do you know that need toys for Christmas because they really do have a lack of stuff to play with? Why do we teach people that your life is somehow less meaningful because you don't have a lot of stuff? What about people making the effort to build relationships and spend time with children rather than give them things? Our daughter doesn't have a lot of expensive toys but she sure does know how to play. Even though we can afford to we are choosing not to buy her stuff just because its Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Well said - I couldn't agree more - it will be a bit like that at our place this year too, it will be more about spending time together and enjoying each other's company.

    ReplyDelete